The Importance of Seeking Wise Estate Planning Counsel

I’m Jay Bailey with Bailey & Galyen, I’m of Counsel with the firm, and I head our Probate & Estate Planning section.

You’ve got lots of things you’re good at. You have expertise as a professional, you have expertise in the trades, you’re an excellent educator, you’ve got a lot of experience.

You’re probably not a Probate or Estate Planning lawyer. So you can go online, you can watch a video, or a TV promotion, but I wouldn’t. I’d seek wise counsel.

You see, in hand grenades and horseshoes, close actually scores points. In Probate & Estate Planning getting close means you missed the mark, and it can cost you and your family thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. Talk to somebody who knows what they’re doing. Seek wise counsel. It’ll be a relief to you and a blessing to your family.

The best advise we give is to seek wise counsel. If you need help, call me.

Premarital Agreements

I’m Keith Spencer. A Board Certified family law attorney with Bailey & Galyen. I office in the Bedford office of the DFW Metroplex.

Every marriage will eventually end. Either by death or divorce. It’s a fact. It’s only sensible to plan for that eventuality, much like we plan for our retirement or prepare our wills.

A premarital agreement gives spouses security and certainty moving forward. Premarital agreements are unique documents specially crafted to recite the individual agreements of the parties.

No two are identical. Parties craft their own agreement with the help of their attorneys. Now not all attorneys will undertake to draft a prenuptial agreement. Usually such agreements are only drafted by the most experienced family law attorneys. At Bailey & Galyen our experienced attorneys will meet with you for a free consultation, and help you determine whether a premarital agreement is right for you.


I’m Jay Bailey, I’m of counsel to the firm and I head our probate & estate planning section.

So you’ve won the lottery, Texas Lottery has a ticket that has the right numbers. You’ve checked them numerous times. What should you do?

Contact someone that has experience representing people who have won the Texas Lottery. Take their advice as to how you sign that ticket. Secure that ticket. Talk to someone who will protect your privacy to make the decision whether you want the media to have any access to this information or you want to remain quietly under the radar.

If you hire someone with experience they’ll hook you up with good legal advice, good financial advice and good tax advice including when it’s best to claim your winnings and in what form.

If you’ve won the lottery call Bailey & Galyen, we have the expertise to help you. The best advice we give is to seek wise counsel if you need help call me.


I’m Keith Spencer, a Board Certified Family Law attorney with Bailey & Galyen. I office in the Bedford office of the DFW Metroplex.

Divorce cases are extremely complex and emotionally challenging. Everything you hold dear are on the line. Your children, your home, retirement and even your business can be impacted. Property laws make the division of the estate very difficult without the assistance of an experienced family law attorney.

Decisions regarding the care and custody of your children also require specialized expertise. You don’t want to trust everything you’ve worked for to someone that has limited experience in these kinds of cases. You also do not want to hire an attorney over the phone. Schedule appointments with several attorneys and ask about their experience, their fee structures and their support staff. Discuss the details of your case with the attorney and explore your options for mediation or settlement. Remember, most cases settle before trial and may provide a better outcome than going to court.

At Bailey & Galyen you can meet with one of our experienced family law attorneys for free. We will assess your case and take the time to talk to you about the best way to protect what’s most important to you.

Accidents Involving Uninsured or Underinsured Drivers

Strategies for Recovering Compensation for Your Losses

Car accident sceneWhen you have been hurt in a motor vehicle accident caused by the carelessness or negligence of another person, especially in Texas, your first course of action is typically to seek compensation from the at-fault party's auto insurance provider. Unlike many other states, Texas is not a "no-fault" state for purposes of motor vehicle insurance. Every driver in Texas is required to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance to cover the losses of another driver in a motor vehicle accident.

But making it a legal requirement doesn't mean that someone will do it. It's not uncommon for the at-fault party in a Texas car crash to either have inadequate insurance or no insurance at all. According to the Insurance Research Council, more than two million of the 15 million licensed drivers in Texas do not have any liability insurance at all! What are your options, should you suffer losses in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist? Are you simply without recourse? Not necessarily.

Do You Have Uninsured Motorist / Underinsured Motorist Coverage on Your Policy?

You may be able to pursue compensation through your own insurer. In Texas, while it's not mandatory, insurance companies can offer additional coverage that provides some benefits in the event you sustain losses because of the carelessness or negligence of an uninsured or underinsured driver. It's commonly referred to as UM/UIM coverage and is offered as a rider to your policy at an additional premium. There are typically limits to the amount of coverage you'll get under your UM/UIM policy.

If you discover that the other driver either had no insurance or only had coverage for property damage, your first course of action should be to determine whether you added the UM/UIM coverage to your policy. Don't expect your insurance agent to volunteer that information—the insurer maximized its profit by minimizing its payouts. Instead, it's a good idea to hire an experienced attorney who can review your policy and clarify your coverage.

Are There Other Potential Defendants?

When you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you may be able to take legal action against anyone who acted negligently. That may include:

  • The actual owner of the other car, if it was being borrowed at the time of the crash — Under a theory of vicarious liability, the owner of the vehicle may have some legal responsibility. Typically, you will have to show that the owner knew or should have known that the actual driver posed an unreasonable risk. A common example of this is when a parent allows an inexperienced teen to drive a car.

  • The at-fault party's employer, if the accident occurred during the course of employment — Under the legal theory of respondeat superior, an employer can be held liable for the acts of an employee.

  • The individual or establishment serving the alcohol, if the accident was caused by a drunk driver — The dram shop and social host liability laws in Texas may impose liability on someone who either knew a person was impaired or served a sufficient quantity of alcohol to a person that would reasonably lead to impairment.

  • The municipality responsible for road maintenance, if the accident was caused by a pothole, loose gravel, uneven pavement or other roadway defects

  • Any party in the chain of distribution, if the accident was caused by a dangerous or defective product, such as a faulty tire, brakes or automotive part

Contact the Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys at Bailey & Galyen

At Bailey & Galyen, we offer a free initial consultation to every personal injury client. For an appointment, contact our office online or call us at 844-402-2992. We will take your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Welcome to Bailey & Galyen

I'm J.C. Bailey with the law firm of Bailey & Galyen, one of the largest consumer law firms in the state of Texas. Well what does that mean? Big businesses have lawyers, the government has lawyers but what about individuals and small businesses? Who represents them? Well, Bailey & Galyen does. With at least 20 offices spread across Texas, with 50 plus lawyers and hundreds of years of experience. We offer you the opportunity to be heard, to be listened to and we want the opportunity to speak to you about your legal problems.

If you would, call us or email us and we will give you a free consultation. We want to help.

Choosing an Attorney

Choosing an attorney can be a difficult decision. Unless you have a referral from a trusted source, it is hard to gauge a lawyer’s abilities and experience. Here are some suggestions: 

• Consult their website.
• How long have they been in practice?
• What types of cases do they generally handle?
• Do they have specialized training or Board Certification relevant to your case?
• What kind of fee structure do they employ?
• How much will it cost?

Many attorneys have generalized practices and do not specialize in any given area. Avoid attorneys with little experience in cases like yours. You don’t want a tax attorney to handle your divorce.

Experience is important. But it is vital that you choose a lawyer you trust.

Meet with several attorneys before making your decision.

At Bailey & Galyen, we offer free initial consultations and meet with you personally to assess your case. Give us a call.

Public Charge Policy

Hello, my name is Andres Martinez, Immigration attorney here at Bailey and Galyen. Today, I want to talk to you about the new Public Charge policy taking effect on October 15 of this year.

This new policy will make it more difficult for individuals applying for Adjustment of Status to obtain their permanent resident card. The Department of Homeland Security will be able to take into consideration many factors of an applicant’s life to determine if they are worthy of becoming a US resident, such factors include: the applicant’s age, health, education level, English-speaking ability, the applicant’s credit score, whether or not they’ve filed taxes, financial status, size of family, skills and employment, among others. Moreover, the new rule will define a public charge as a person who receives any number of public benefits for more than a total of 12 months over any 36-month period of time. Such public benefits include Medicaid, SNAP, Section 8 housing, and cash aid such as TANF and SSI.

Remember that this new rule will mainly impact those seeking permanent resident status through family member petitions. It does not affect individuals who are already residents who are trying to naturalize.

Please come see us so we can discuss this new law and the effects on your case.