Dog Bite and Animal Attack Attorneys | Texas and Nationwide
Owner Liability for Unprovoked Attacks | Maulings | Physical and Emotional Trauma
According to Dogsbite.org, a watchdog organization protecting the safety of citizens from aggressive canines, more than four and a half million Americans are bitten by dogs every year, with about 20% of those bites becoming infected. Hospitalizations for dog bites and attacks have nearly doubled nationwide over the last 25 years, and more than 25,000 people require some form of constructive surgery every year as the result of an attack by a dog.
If you or someone you love is hurt in an unprovoked attack by a dog or other animal, you want an experienced and aggressive lawyer to help you pursue a monetary award for your losses. Bailey & Galyen can help.
Proven Texas Dog Bite Lawyers
At the law offices of Bailey & Galyen, we have protected the rights of personal injury victims throughout the Lone Star State for more than four decades, including people who hurt by someone else’s domestic animal. One of the largest consumer law firms in Texas, we are well-known for our consistent ability to recover significant damages for our clients. Since we opened our practice, we have collected more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements for our personal injury clients.
Bailey & Galyen—Committed to the Highest Levels of Client Service and Satisfaction
Throughout our decades of serving injured people in Texas and across the country, we have consistently provided our clients with comprehensive service and attention. We’ll keep you involved and informed throughout the legal process, making certain you have a basic understanding of the law and process, as well as your rights and prospects for success. We’ll immediately inform you of any developments in your case, as well as your options, so that you can make good decisions about how you want to proceed.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Bites and Animal Attacks
How Should I Respond Immediately After an Attack by a Dog or Other Domestic Animal?
- The most important thing, after any type of personal injury, is to get the medical attention you need, either by emergency medical personnel or at a hospital, urgent care facility, or doctor’s office. Don’t try to downplay your injuries. Ignoring them may lead to significant complications and can compromise your legal claims.
- Once you receive necessary medical attention, immediately hire an experienced lawyer. Your attorney will move quickly to safeguard all evidence, from eyewitness testimony to any physical evidence at the site of the attack. That can be critical, as witnesses can disappear, die, or start to lose memories of the incident, and physical evidence can get lost.
- If you can, get contact information from the animal’s owner, as well as any potential witnesses. Take pictures of everything related to the attack, from your injuries to the location of the attack. Your cellphone camera is sufficient.
What Losses Can I Recover in a Dog-Bite Lawsuit?
Though many states have strict liability laws governing dog bites and animal attacks, Texas does not. That means you must prove that the owner was negligent. Upon such a showing, however, you can recover for a wide range of losses, including:
- Wages or income lost because you could not work
- Medical bills not covered by insurance
- Physical pain or suffering stemming from the attack
- Loss of enjoyment of life—the ability to engage in activities that brought joy or meaning to your life before the accident
- Loss of physical companionship or consortium
What Do I Have to Prove to Recover for a Dog Bite or Animal Attack in Texas?
Because Texas does not have a strict liability statute for dog bites, you must show one of the following:
- That the owner knew his or her dog had attempted to bite someone before you;
- That the owner was negligent—this requires that you show that
- The person being sued owned or controlled the dog;
- The person being sued did not take reasonable steps to prevent the dog from harming someone;
- The failure to do so caused an attack; and
- You suffered injuries as a result.
How Can Bailey & Galyen Help Me After a Dog Bite or Animal Attack?
For more than 40 years, Bailey & Galyen has successfully represented personal injury victims in courts throughout Texas and across the nation. We have a comprehensive knowledge of the Texas laws governing dog bites and animal attacks, and we know how serious these types of injuries can be. We also know how to effectively prepare these cases—the types of evidence that are most compelling, as well as the different ways judges and juries across the state view personal injury claims. We understand when to bring in expert witness testimony, and we have a network of professionals we use to help present the strongest case for your full financial recovery.
Contact Bailey & Galyen for a Proven Dog Bite and Animal Attack Injury Lawyer
If you or someone you love is hurt in an unprovoked attack by a dog or other domestic animal, you need an experienced lawyer to help you get full and fair compensation. The experienced personal injury attorneys at Bailey & Galyen offer a free initial consultation. We handle all dog bite and animal attack claims on a contingent-fee basis. You won’t pay any legal fees unless we get compensation for your losses.
We offer aggressive counsel in dog bite and animal attack claims across Texas, with offices in Arlington, Bedford, Burleson, Carrollton, Dallas, Fort Worth, Grapevine, Houston, Mansfield, Mesquite, Midland/Odessa, Plano, Texarkana, and Weatherford.