Failure to Take Appropriate Safety Precautions | Delays in Responding to Watches or Warnings | Negligence Securing an Offshore Oil Rig
According to the National Weather Service, about 100 potential tropical weather disturbances arise in the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean Sea, and Atlantic Ocean every year, all with the potential to become tropical storms or even hurricanes and to wreak havoc along the Texas coast. Even though only a handful ever develop into tropical storms or hurricanes, they pose a serious risk to anyone and anything in their path, including offshore oil rigs. When a hurricane or tropical storm does strike the Texas coast, the last place you want to be is on an offshore rig. Unfortunately, though, with the demands to maximize production, many rig owners and operators ignore weather advisories or wait too long to evacuate workers. The consequences can be devastating and even deadly.
If you or someone you love was hurt on an offshore oil rig when a hurricane or tropical storm came through, you want experienced and proven lawyers to help you get full and fair compensation for your losses. You want Bailey & Galyen.
Tested, Effective Legal Counsel for Personal Injury Victims Across Texas
At Bailey & Galyen, we have consistently produced positive results for victims of personal injury throughout Texas and the United States. Over the past four decades, we have collected more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements in personal injury claims, including offshore-oil-rig-accident cases. For a free initial consultation, contact us by email or call our offices at 844-402-2992 to schedule an appointment.
Aggressive Advocacy for Victims of Serious and Catastrophic Loss
At Bailey & Galyen, we focus first on personal service and attention, striving to be available and accessible when you have questions or concerns. Long regarded as one of the premier consumer law firms in the Lone Star State, we give 100% of our efforts to help you accomplish your goals. We understand the importance of communication and will take the time to help you understand the law, the process, and your rights. We will immediately inform you of any developments in your case, as well as your options and prospects for success, so that you can make good decisions that are in your best interests.
Frequently Asked Questions About Offshore-Oil-Rig-Injury Claims
What Should I Do If I’m Injured in a Hurricane While on an Offshore Oil Rig?
- The first and most important thing to do, after any type of accident, is make certain you get the medical care you need. In most instances, the best thing you can do is stay right where you are until emergency medical technicians arrive, though that may not be an option when you are caught in a hurricane on an oil rig. Regardless, you need to seek medical attention as soon as possible, to minimize both the risk of complications and the potential impact on your legal claims.
- After getting the medical treatment you need, retain the services of an experienced personal injury lawyer. Your attorney will take immediate steps to protect your legal rights, gathering and preserving any physical evidence and getting witness statements and contact information. Your lawyer can also be your liaison with insurance providers.
- Whenever possible, take the time to determine who was present when the hurricane came through. Get contact information from everyone. Take pictures, using your cellphone, if necessary, of anything related to the hurricane and its aftermath, including your injuries as well as any damage to the oil rig.
What Legal Claims Can Be Made If I’m Injured in a Hurricane on an Oil Rig?
Though a hurricane is a natural force and, therefore, uncontrollable and unpredictable, there are still many ways that the owner or operator of an offshore oil rig can negligently cause injury when a hurricane strikes a rig:
- The owner/operator may have negligently ignored available or known weather watches or warnings.
- The owner/operator may have carelessly delayed evacuation requests or orders.
- The owner/operator may have failed to properly secure the oil rig in preparation for the hurricane or tropical storm.
- The owner/operator may have misrepresented the danger posed by the storm or wrongfully compelled workers to engage in dangerous activities during the storm.
What Types of Damages Can I Get If I’m Injured in a Hurricane on an Offshore Oil Rig?
When you’re injured on the job in Texas, you have the right to file a workers’ compensation claim for lost wages, as well as all reasonable and necessary medical expenses. Furthermore, if your injuries are caused by the wrongful acts of someone other than your employer or a coworker, you can seek the following damages in a personal injury lawsuit:
- Lost wages and income
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium or companionship
- Physical pain and suffering
- Unreimbursed medical expenses
How Can Bailey & Galyen Help Me If I’m Hurt in a Hurricane While on an Offshore Oil Rig?
At the law offices of Bailey & Galyen, we have successfully handled a wide range of personal injury claims for clients across Texas over the past four decades. We know how to carefully prepare a personal injury lawsuit to help our clients maximize recovery. We understand how the different judges and juries across Texas treat personal injury claims, as well as the types of evidence that are most compelling in court. We have extensive experience working with expert witnesses, including accident reconstruction specialists, medical professionals, engineers, and financial projects experts, and we know when to call an expert to help a jury understand liability and loss. We can quickly assess the value of your claim and help you determine whether to accept a settlement offer.
Contact Bailey & Galyen for Proven Counsel After an Offshore-Oil-Rig Hurricane Injury
When you or someone you love is hurt in a tropical storm or hurricane on an offshore oil rig, you need an experienced lawyer to help you get full and fair compensation. The proven personal injury attorneys at Bailey & Galyen offer a free initial consultation. We handle all serious and catastrophic accident lawsuits on a contingent-fee basis. You won’t pay any legal fees unless we get compensation for your losses.
We offer proven counsel in offshore-oil-rig hurricane-injury claims across Texas, with offices in Arlington, Bedford, Burleson, Dallas, Fort Worth, Grapevine, Houston, Mansfield, Mesquite, Midland/Odessa, Plano, Texarkana, and Weatherford.