The Benefits of Hiring an Experienced Texas Personal Injury Attorney
When you’re hurt because of someone else’s carelessness, you can easily become overwhelmed by the ways your life is affected. You may worry about paying your bills because you can’t work. You may be dealing with serious pain or discomfort every day. You may need extensive medical care, including physical therapy or rehabilitation. Although your accident may seem like an open-and-shut case, personal injury claims are complex proceedings. There are significant benefits to having an experienced personal injury lawyer to protect your rights:
- You’ll have an advocate with insurance companies—Whether dealing with your insurance company or the at-fault party’s insurer, you can expect delays, denials, and lowball offers. Insurance companies are for-profit businesses that enhance their bottom line by paying as little as possible to settle a claim. They know what they can get away with and assume that you don’t. An experienced personal injury attorney will know your rights regarding insurance payouts, but an inexperienced lawyer will be at a disadvantage.
- You’ll have confidence that the right things are being done at the right time—Taking a personal injury claim from the filing of a complaint through trial is a complicated process, with many steps along the way. An experienced personal injury attorney will know the statute of limitations, which determines how much time you have after the accident to file your claim. Such lawyers also will know:
- when and where to file your complaint,
- the specific laws that protect you,
- the language that needs to be included in the complaint,
- all the potentially responsible parties,
- where to look for other sources of recovery if the primary at-fault party is uninsured or underinsured,
- the most effective types of evidence,
- when expert witness testimony is necessary,
- the types of evidence that are admissible at trial,
- the range for a reasonable settlement of your claim, and
- how to prepare your case for trial.
- You’ll know that you’re pursuing compensation for all your injuries—In a personal injury claim, you can recover for a wide range of losses, including:
- lost wages and income,
- unreimbursed medical expenses,
- physical pain and suffering,
- loss of enjoyment of life (the ability to engage in ordinary activities or do things you love),
- loss of companionship or consortium, and
- property losses not covered by insurance.
An attorney with little or no experience handling personal injury claims is likely to be unfamiliar with all the potential damages and may not understand how to calculate intangible losses, such as pain and suffering or loss of enjoyment of life.
- An experienced personal injury attorney understands the unique legal issues involved—Most personal injury claims are based on a legal theory of negligence. Proving negligence requires you to show that the defendant failed to exercise reasonable care, thereby causing an accident in which you suffered actual losses. An inexperienced lawyer may not understand how the standard of care is determined, the different types of causation that must be proven, or what qualifies as an actual loss. Furthermore, Texas is a comparative negligence state for personal injury. An experienced personal injury attorney will know what that means and how it applies to your case.
- A proven personal injury lawyer knows how much your case is worth—Though some losses are easily calculated, such as lost income or unreimbursed medical expenses, others are not. An inexperienced attorney won’t know how to determine damages for pain and suffering, loss of companionship or consortium, or loss of enjoyment of life. If you hire an inexperienced lawyer, there’s a good chance you won’t get full and fair compensation for all your losses.
Contact the Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers at Bailey & Galyen
At the law office of Bailey & Galyen, we know from experience that a personal injury can change your life in an instant. We provide a free initial consultation to anyone with a potential personal injury claim. To set up a meeting with an aggressive, results-oriented personal injury attorney, send us an e-mail or call us at 844-402-2992. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week.