Delivery-Room Errors | Cerebral Palsy | Brachial Plexus Injury | Shoulder Dystocia | Hypoxia (Oxygen Deprivation) Injuries | Clavicle Fracture | Head Trauma | Forceps or Suction Injury | Failure to Monitor
Few things in life have more potential for bringing joy than the birth of a child. Far too often, though, the carelessness or negligence of medical professionals turn anticipated happiness into pain and heartbreak. When your newborn suffers unnecessary and avoidable injuries because of the wrongful actions of a doctor or nurse, you want a proven and compassionate lawyer to fight for your rights. You want Bailey & Galyen.
At Bailey & Galyen, with offices across the state of Texas, we bring more than four decades of experience to individuals and families who suffer loss because of the careless or wrongful acts of others, including parents dealing with the tragic aftermath of an avoidable birth injury. Long known as one of the Lone Star State’s premier consumer law firms, we are proud of our record of consistently getting positive results for our clients. Over the past 40 years, we have recovered more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements in personal injury lawsuits.
Proven Childbirth-Injury Lawyers
We built our successful practice on a commitment to provide unparalleled service and attention to every single client. We know the stress and uncertainty that come with a personal injury. We’ll take the time to listen closely, so we know exactly what happened and what you need to be made whole. We’ll help you understand the law and the legal process, as well as your rights, so you always know where you stand and what to expect. We’ll immediately notify you of any developments in your case,as well as your options and prospects for success, so you can make the best decisions for you and your family.
Frequently Asked Questions About Birth-Injury Claims
How Can I Protect My Legal Rights When My Child Suffers a Needless Birth Injury?
It may seem counterintuitive, but the best way to protect your legal rights is to ensure that your child gets all the medical attention they need, as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the greater the chances there may be complications, and the greater the risk that your legal claims will be affected. Seek medical attention from doctors you trust. Tell them everything you observed, and ask them to document everything in writing.
Once you know your child is getting the best treatment available, immediately hire an experienced attorney. Your lawyer will take prompt action to gather and preserve all physical evidence, get witness statements, and file required documents. Your attorney can also act as your liaison with insurance companies.
It’s also a good idea to keep a diary or take notes throughout the birthing process. Things can happen pretty quickly, and you may not remember details in the days, weeks, or months following the birth of your child. Keeping your own written record can help preserve your memory of what you saw and heard.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Birth Injuries?
Doctors and nurses often fail to meet the standard of care expected for the delivery of a newborn by:
- Failing to properly monitor the child before, during, and immediately after birth
- Failing to properly monitor the mother before and during childbirth
- Failing to order a C-section in a timely manner
- Failing to use reasonable care with forceps, suction, or other devices to facilitate delivery
- Failing to diagnose and treat common issues that arise during childbirth, including umbilical cord problems, infections, premature rupture of membranes, or problems with placenta
- Failing to properly communicate with other medical professionals involved in the delivery process
- Failing to conduct a proper work-up of the mother before delivery, leading to unexpected medical challenges
- Failing to order appropriate medical testing to confirm any unanticipated medical issues
What Are the Most Common Types of Birth Injuries?
The negligence of medical professionals during the delivery process can lead to:
- Hypoxia injuries, where the newborn is deprived of oxygen for periods of time. Hypoxia can lead to cerebral palsy, as well as other brain or cognitive injuries
- Brachial plexus (Erb’s palsy) or shoulder dystocia injuries caused by vacuums or forceps
- Clavicle fractures
- Head trauma or brain damage
- Spinal cord injury
- Internal bleeding
What Types of Compensation Are Available for Birth Injuries?
Upon proof of negligence, you can recover a wide range of losses, including:
- Costs of unreimbursed medical expenses, now and for the child’s lifetime
- Costs of any special care, such as occupational therapy, physical therapy, and in-home care, as well as the costs of any special medical equipment, such as wheelchairs or special beds
- Costs of counseling for parents and children
- Costs of retrofitting your home or motor vehicle to accommodate the child
- Lost wages or income of a parent who takes time off or quits working to care for the child
How Can Bailey & Galyen Help Me When My Child Suffers a Birth Injury?
At Bailey & Galyen, we have fought for the rights of personal injury victims in courts throughout Texas for more than 40 years. We have a comprehensive understanding of the law and process governing personal injury claims and the different approaches taken by courts across the Lone Star State. We understand the types of evidence that are most persuasive in a court of law, and we know when to bring in expert witnesses to help juries understand liability and loss. We can quickly assess the value of your claim, so you can make good decisions about whether to accept a settlement offer or take your case to trial.
Contact Bailey & Galyen for Assertive Counsel in a Birth-Injury Claim
When your child suffers a birth-related injury because of the negligence of medical personnel, you need an experienced lawyer to help you get full and fair compensation. The personal injury attorneys at Bailey & Galyen have the skill, knowledge, experience, and resources to protect your rights.
We handle all birth injury claims on a contingent-fee basis. You won’t pay any legal fees unless we get compensation for your losses.
To schedule an appointment for a free initial consultation, call 844-402-2992 or contact us online. Our phones are answered 24/7. Evening and weekend consultations are available upon request. Se habla español.
We offer proven counsel in birth-injury claims across Texas,with offices in Arlington, Bedford, Burleson, Carrollton, Dallas, Fort Worth, Grapevine, Houston, Mansfield, Mesquite, Midland/Odessa, Plano, Texarkana, and Weatherford.