Full and Fair Compensation after a Car Accident
Four times every hour and more than a hundred times every single day—someone, somewhere in the United States is involved in a motor vehicle accident. Cars are safer than ever, with many new features to minimize the likelihood of a collision. It hasn’t changed anything. People still drive while looking at a mobile device or wolfing down a sandwich. They still get behind the wheel of a car when they’ve had too much to drink or too little sleep. The consequences can be devastating.
If you have been hurt in any type of car accident in or around Fort Worth, you may be unable to work or you may need extensive medical treatment, some of which isn’t covered by insurance. You want aggressive and experienced attorneys to help you hold the at-fault driver accountable, so that you can get the compensation you need to get your life back. Bailey & Galyen can help.
At Bailey & Galyen, we have consistently obtained positive results for injured people across Texas for more than four decades. In our years in practice, we have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in judgments and verdicts for clients who have suffered injury because of another person’s carelessness or negligence, including men, women and children hurt in car accidents. We built our successful practice on a commitment to hard work, thorough preparation and a commitment to listen. We’ll keep you fully informed of all your options, as well as your prospects for success, so that you can make good decisions about how you want to proceed. We know the importance of regular communication with your lawyer and work hard to be available and accessible whenever you need to talk.
The Laws Governing Liability and Recovery in Car Accidents in Texas
Most motor vehicle accident lawsuits in Texas, including car accident claims, are based on the legal principle of negligence, which can be found in the legal opinions of judges. To successfully establish negligence and recover damages (financial compensation), you must show that the defendant, at the time of the accident, was not acting as a reasonable person would (speeding or tailgating, for example). You must further prove that the defendant’s failure to act reasonably caused the accident and that you suffered actual losses as a result.
What Are the Common Causes of Most Fort Worth Car Accidents?
The vast majority of car accidents are caused by the wrongful acts of other drivers, such as:
- Violation of traffic laws—use of excessive speed, illegal lane changes, failure to maintain proper distance, or running a traffic signal or sign
- Driving while impaired—Operating a car under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving while distracted—Paying attention to handheld devices, other passengers, the car stereo, personal grooming or other roadside attractions while behind the wheel
- Aggressive driving—Makin rolling stops, unsafe lane changes and tailgating
- Driving without proper rest
Causes unrelated to the actions of other drivers include
- Mechanical problems—Dangerous or defective vehicle components (such as tires or brakes) or failure to properly maintain vehicle
- Weather or road conditions—Failing to change driving habits in response to rain, ice, sleet or snow, or failing to slow down or make adjustments around road construction or roadway defects
What Are the Most Common Types of Fort Worth Auto Collisions?
The kinds of crashes most often reported in Texas include:
- Rear-end collisions, typically caused by tailgating or aggressive driving, or by failing to pay attention to other vehicles on the road
- T-bones, commonly caused by failing to stop at a traffic sign or red light, or failing to yield to the right of way of another vehicle
- Head-on collisions, common at left-turn lanes or in cases of driver fatigue
- Sideswipes due to improper lane changes or aggressive driving
What Should You Do in the Immediate Aftermath of a Fort Worth Car Crash?
After any type of motor vehicle accident, your first priority should always be your health. If you can safely stay right where you are until the EMTs arrive, that’s what you want to do. Let the professionals determine whether you need to go to the hospital, or if you just need a little bit of time to gather yourself. Even if you are able to get up and walk away from the accident, get a full medical examination as soon as possible, whether it’s at a hospital emergency room, an urgent care facility or in the offices of your primary care physician.
When getting medical care, be sure to tell doctors and nurses about everything that seems out of the ordinary. Too many injured people focus on the obvious injuries and forget to mention other concerns, such as a stiff neck or back, or balance issues. Often, the injuries that will be most debilitating in the long run may not start to cause significant pain or discomfort for a few days.
How Long Do You Have to File a Fort Worth Car Accident Lawsuit?
The time period for filing a legal claim for damages is governed by a law known as the “statute of limitations.” In Texas, that period is two years. Accordingly, you must file a lawsuit for damages sustained in a car accident within 24 months of the date of the accident, or within 24 months of your reasonable discovery of any injuries suffered in the accident.
How Is Liability Determined in a Fort Worth Car Accident?
Legal responsibility for injury or loss suffered in any Texas car accident will typically be based on a legal theory of negligence. To prove negligence, you must show that the at-fault party failed to act as a reasonable person would under the circumstances, causing the accident and resulting in your injury and/or loss.
What Kind of Evidence Should You Collect at the Scene of a Car Accident?
If possible, you should get contact information from anyone else involved in the accident, as well as anyone who observed what happened. It can also help your attorney if you get pictures of things that may have a bearing on your case, such as your injuries, the damage to all the vehicles, any unusual road conditions and any weather issues that may have contributed to the crash.
What Loss or Injury Can You Typically Recover in a Fort Worth Car Accident Lawsuit?
The law allows you to pursue full and fair compensation for any injury or loss caused by the accident, including:
- Lost wages and income
- Loss of companionship or consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Any physical or mental pain and suffering resulting from the accident
- Any unreimbursed medical expenses
- Any property damage or loss
What Can You Reasonably Expect from Your Insurance Company after a Car Accident?
In the aftermath of a car crash, don’t be surprised if your insurance company takes its time responding to you or offers you far less than you need to cover your losses. That’s because insurance companies are for-profit entities whose primary objective is to maximize shareholder value. They do that by minimizing payouts on claims.
What Do Insurance Settlements Typically Cover?
Auto insurance policies generally provide coverage for damage to or loss of a vehicle, as well as some coverage for injuries to other motorists. They may also include payment of medical bills for you and/or your passengers, including circumstances where the other driver had little or no insurance.
Why Should You Hire a Car Accident Attorney in Fort Worth?
A knowledgeable and experienced lawyer will take all the steps necessary to help you pursue full and fair compensation for all your losses. Your attorney should:
- Evaluate your case and help you make a good decision about pursuing a settlement or taking your case to trial
- Fully investigate of the causes of your accident
- Hire and prepare expert witnesses, if necessary, to present the strongest case for your full financial recovery
- Prepare and file all documents required during the course of litigation
- Be your voice in all meetings, hearings and proceedings, including depositions, motion hearings and trial
How Can Bailey & Galyen Help You after a Fort Worth Car Accident?
At Bailey & Galyen, we have more than four decades of experience getting positive results in car accident lawsuits. We will be your advocate throughout the process, from the decision to file a lawsuit through trial, and appeals, if necessary.
Talk to Our Fort Worth Car Accident Attorneys Today for a Free Case Evaluation
At the law offices of Bailey and Galyen, with offices throughout Texas, we proudly offer our 100% promise, working hard to ensure your total satisfaction with our services. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Evening and weekend meetings can be arranged upon request and we can travel for an appointment, upon request.
We provide a free initial consultation to anyone who has been injured in a car accident. To set up an appointment, call our offices at 1-844-402-2992 or contact us by e-mail. We handle all car accident claims on a contingency basis. We will only charge attorney fees if we recover compensation for your losses.