Hello, I’m Michael Galyen, a personal injury lawyer at the law firm of Bailey & Galyen.
One of the things we see far too often from persons involved in accidents is unnecessary delays in seeking medical attention. This is something that can have a dramatic impact on your ability to get fairly compensated for your losses.
There can be a number of reasons you don’t immediately go to the hospital or an urgent care facility—
- You may not think your injuries aren’t that serious
- You might have some other matter that seems more important at the time
- Maybe you just want to put on a good face for your loved ones, so they don’t worry about you
- First, it’s virtually impossible, without a medical exam or other tests, to know how serious your injuries really are. Some of the most debilitating and persistent injuries might not show up for hours, days or even weeks. For example, Symptoms of a concussion can take up to 48 hours to appear. Soft-tissue injuries, such as sprains, strains and some of the effects of whiplash, can also have delayed symptoms. It’s well-known that the sooner you treat any injury, the more treatment options you’ll have and the better results you can expect. Delaying treatment could also make your condition worse.
- Another consequence of delaying medical treatment is that it gives defense attorneys arguments they can use against you in court. A defense lawyer might argue that, since you didn’t seek medical attention right away, your injuries can’t be all that serious. They also might suggest that your injuries were caused by some other event or accident that happened after the fact. Either way, the jury may be persuaded to reduce your recovery or eliminate it altogether.
You need to know that it’s never a good idea to delay medical care after an accident or injury.
It’s never too soon after an accident to contact an attorney who can help ensure that your rights are protected. At Bailey & Galyen, we have represented people throughout Texas who have been hurt by someone else’s carelessness. Whether in a car accident, a slip and fall or some other mishap. Call us today for a free consultation.