Surgical Errors | Operating on the Wrong Body Part | Performing the Wrong Operation | Leaving Surgical Tools in a Body Cavity | Carelessly Nicking Nearby Organs
With something as serious as surgery, you might think the procedures in place would make mistakes virtually unheard of, but there are a shocking number of people each year who suffer serious consequences because of a botched surgery. The mistakes run the gamut from operating on the wrong patient to operating on the wrong body party to performing the wrong procedure, with more than 4,000 such accidents reported every year.
When you suffer loss because of a mistake during a surgical procedure, you want experienced and aggressive attorneys to fight for you rights. You want Bailey & Galyen.
Experienced Surgical Malpractice Lawyers
At the law offices of Bailey & Galyen, we bring more than four decades of experience to people in Texas and across the United States who are hurt because of someone else’s negligence, including victims of surgical errors. One of the largest consumer law firms in Texas, we are known throughout the Lone Star State for our ability to consistently recover meaningful compensation for our clients. Over the last 40 years, we have secured verdicts and settlements in excess of $500 million for our personal injury clients.
From the inception of our firm, we have taken a simple and straightforward approach to personal injury, working hard to give 100% of our efforts to every case we handle. We place a premium on communication, listening carefully to learn the facts of your case, as well as what you hope to accomplish. We will carefully explain the law and the legal process, as well as your rights, and we will promptly notify you of any developments in your case, as well as your options and prospects of success, so you can make good decisions that are in your best interests.
Frequently Asked Questions About Surgical-Error Claims
What Should I Do If I Suffer Loss Because of a Surgical Error?
- After any injury, your health concerns must be first and foremost. Notify doctors immediately, and request an emergency medical assessment to determine your options. If you have medical professionals that you trust, ask them to intervene on your behalf so that appropriate steps are taken to minimize any further risks to your health.
- The sooner you hire an experienced lawyer, the sooner you can start protecting your rights. Your attorney will move quickly to identify, gather, and preserve all physical evidence and get statements from all parties and potential witnesses. Your lawyer can also work directly with insurance companies to help you get the benefits you need and deserve.
What Are the Common Causes of Surgical Mistakes?
As with most of modern medicine, the emphasis on profit over care leads to carelessness and mistakes:
- Operation on the wrong body part—The wrong arm, leg, hip, knee, shoulder, or other appendage
- Operation on the wrong patient—Performing a scheduled procedure on the wrong person
- Performing the wrong procedure—Confusing similar names, putting patients in the wrong rooms, surgical records mix-ups, failure to confirm surgery with patient
- Leaving a surgical tool or implement in a body cavity—Sponges, gloves, masks, clamps, forceps, scalpels, and needles, among other things
- Lack of attention during a procedure—Failure to use the commonly accepted standard of care, whether due to fatigue, distraction, or excessive workload
What Damages Can I Ask for After a Surgical Error?
When a surgeon makes a mistake, you can pursue compensation for all reasonably foreseeable losses, including:
- Lost wages and income
- Loss of enjoyment of life—the inability to partake in activities that brought joy or meaning before the surgical error or to engage in the normal acts of daily life
- Loss of companionship or consortium
- Unreimbursed medical expenses
- Physical pain and suffering
How Can Bailey & Galyen Help Me If I’m the Victim of a Surgical Error?
At Bailey & Galyen, we have protected the rights of injured people in courts throughout Texas for more than four decades. We know how to prepare a surgical-error claim, and we understand the complex medical issues involved. We know the types of evidence that are most persuasive in medical malpractice claims and when it’s in your best interests to bring in experts to explain medical issues to a judge and jury. We understand the different ways that judges and juries treat personal injury claims in different parts of the state, and we can quickly determine the potential value of your case, so that you can make good decisions about whether you want to accept a settlement offer or take your claims to trial.
Contact Bailey & Galyen for Aggressive Advocacy in a Surgical-Mistake Claim
When you suffer loss because of negligence during a surgical procedure, you need experienced and proven counsel to protect your rights. The personal injury attorneys at Bailey & Galyen have the skill, knowledge, experience, and resources to help maximize your recovery.
We handle all surgical error claims on a contingent-fee basis. You won’t pay any legal fees unless we get compensation for your losses.
We offer proven counsel in surgical-error claims across Texas, with offices in Arlington, Bedford, Burleson, Carrollton, Dallas, Fort Worth, Grapevine, Houston, Mansfield, Mesquite, Midland/Odessa, Plano, Texarkana, and Weatherford.