Serious and Catastrophic Injury | Severed Spinal Cord | Paralysis | Nerve Damage | Compression Fractures
According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, an average of nearly 18,000 people across the United States suffer a serious spinal cord injury (SCI) every year. The NSCISC estimates that approximately 300,000 Americans are currently living with a debilitating spinal cord injury, with the overwhelming percentage of injury victims being men (78%). The average length of a hospital stay after a SCI is 11 days, with victims spending about a month (31 days) in rehab.
A spinal cord injury typically brings dramatic changes in your life. You may be permanently disabled and unable to work. You may need to retrofit your home or vehicle to accommodate your condition. You may live with chronic pain or discomfort. When you or someone you love suffers a spinal cord injury because of someone else’s wrongful act, you want aggressive, knowledgeable, and proven attorneys to help you get the compensation you need. Bailey & Galyen can help.
Experienced Spinal-Cord-Injury Lawyers
At the law offices of Bailey & Galyen, with locations throughout the Lone Star State, we have successfully represented personal injury victims for more than 40 years. Known as one of the premier consumer law firms in Texas, we have a well-earned reputation for consistently getting great results for our clients. In our four decades in practice, we have recovered more than $500 million in personal injury verdicts and settlements. Call us at 844-402-2992 or contact us online to schedule a meeting.
Strong Advocacy When You Suffer a Spinal Cord Injury
At Bailey & Galyen, the keys to our long-term success are hard work, clear communication, and a commitment to provide the highest levels of personal service and attention to every client. We stand by our promise to dedicate all our experience, skill, knowledge, and resources to getting the outcome you seek. We help you understand the law and the legal process, as well as your rights, so you know where you stand. We’ll immediately apprise you of any developments in your case, as well as your choices and prospects for success, so you can make informed decisions that are in your best interests.
Frequently Asked Questions About Spinal Cord Injuries
What Should I Do If I Suffer a Spinal Cord Injury?
- If you believe you have suffered any trauma to your spinal cord, don’t move! Even the slightest movement can have devastating consequences. Wait until emergency medical personnel arrive, and defer to their judgment. They’ll be able to determine exactly what needs to be done to protect your health. When you go to the hospital, make certain you tell doctors and nurses about anything that seems out of the ordinary. Ask them to document everything in writing.
- As soon as possible, hire an attorney who has successfully handled spinal-cord-injury claims. These cases can be unlike other personal injury claims, with significantly different injuries and potential damages. Your lawyer will move quickly to preserve all physical evidence and get statements from witnesses or parties to the accident. Your attorney can also be your advocate with insurance providers.
- If possible, ask others to gather as much evidence as possible regarding the cause of the accident, damage to vehicles, injuries, weather conditions, or other factors. Take pictures of everything—a cell phone camera is sufficient.
What Types of Damages Are Available After a Spinal Cord Injury?
The experienced personal injury attorneys at Bailey & Galyen can help you pursue compensation for all your losses, including:
- Lost wages or other income
- Loss of the ability to do things you love (loss of enjoyment of life)
- Loss of physical companionship or consortium
- Physical pain and suffering
- Medical expenses not covered by insurance, including the costs of rehab or physical therapy and costs to modify your home or vehicle to accommodate a wheelchair or other physical needs.
What Are Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injury?
Spinal cord injuries most often result from:
- Motor vehicle accidents —Approximately half of all SCIs are caused in car, truck, or motorcycle wrecks.
- Falls—Particularly common with seniors, falls account for about one in every three spinal cord injuries.
- Sports and recreation injuries—This category includes contact sports, such as football, as well as diving injuries.
- Acts of violence—About one in every seven SCIs results from physical violence, with the most common cause being gunshot wounds.
- Drugs or alcohol—Controlled substances are involved in about 25% of all spinal cord injuries.
How Can Bailey & Galyen Help Me After a Spinal Cord Injury?
At Bailey & Galyen, we have extensive experience successfully handling serious and catastrophic injury claims, including spinal-cord-injury lawsuits. We understand the unique factors involved in SCI claims and the types of evidence most likely to persuade a judge and jury. We have a network of expert witnesses who can testify on your behalf, helping jurors understand both liability and your losses.
Contact Bailey & Galyen for Aggressive Advocacy After a Spinal Cord Injury
When you or someone you love suffer a spinal cord injury, you want the experience, skill, knowledge, and resources of Bailey & Galyen to help you get full and fair compensation for your losses. We provide a free initial consultation to anyone with a potential personal injury claim. We handle all spinal-cord-injury lawsuits on a contingent-fee basis. There won’t be any legal fees unless we get compensation for your losses.
We offer proven counsel in spinal cord injury claims across Texas, with offices in Arlington, Bedford, Burleson, Carrollton, Dallas, Fort Worth, Grapevine, Houston, Mansfield, Mesquite, Midland/Odessa, Plano, Texarkana, and Weatherford.