Hello, my name is Michael Galyen and I’m a personal injury attorney with Bailey & Galyen, one of the largest consumer law firms in Texas. These are some of the first questions clients have when they come to us after an accident.
In Texas, you have a right to recover all kinds of losses that resulted from an accident.
Here are some examples of the different types of losses that can be recovered in a personal injury lawsuit:
· First, you may recover the costs associated with medical care you received as a result of the accident. Also, if long term treatment is required, you may recover for future medical costs you may incur as a result of the accident, like long-term rehab or a surgery that may be required several years down the road.
· Second, lost wages and income – If your injury prevents you from working, you have the right to ask the at-fault party to make up any shortfall in your income. In most instances, these losses are easy to calculate, based on your prior wages and your lost time at work.
· Third, Physical pain and suffering – Though these damages are sometimes more difficult to determine, you have a right to compensation for any unnecessary pain or suffering you experienced.
· Fourth, Loss of enjoyment of life – Injuries suffered in an accident can make it difficult or impossible to do things you could do before. Maybe you participated in recreational sports or played music, but now find it painful or impossible to do that. You can be compensated for that loss.
· Lastly, Loss of consortium or companionship – Your injuries might make it hard for you to spend time in the company of others or enjoy the physical benefits of an intimate relationship. That’s when you can seek compensation for loss of companionship or consortium.
At Bailey & Galyen, we’ve helped personal injury victims just like you for more than 40 years. Call us today!