Aggressive Advocacy for Victims of Negligence at an Offshore Oil or Gas Drilling Operation
Though the accident rates are pretty high at many offshore oil rigs, the reality is that many of the injuries suffered on these floating drilling operations are unnecessary, the consequence of negligence by the companies that own them. In the oil and gas industry, production is king, and everything else, including safety, often takes a back seat.
If you or someone you love is hurt on an offshore oil rig, you want a lawyer who understands these claims, who has successfully protected the rights of other personal injury victims. Bailey & Galyen can help.
Proven Offshore-Oil-Drilling-Accident Lawyers
At the law offices of Bailey & Galyen, we offer more than four decades of experience to people in the Lone Star State and nationwide who suffer serious personal injury, including workers injured on offshore oil rigs. Long regarded as one of the premier consumer law firms in Texas, we are known by colleagues and clients for our consistent ability to get positive results. Over the past 40 years, we have collected verdicts and settlements in excess of $500 million for our personal injury clients.
We built our practice and our reputation on a simple approach—to give our full attention and effort to every case we take. We’ll work hard to gather, assess, and preserve the evidence in support of your claim, and we’ll prepare and file all necessary pleadings and documents.
We understand the stress and anxiety that come after a personal injury, when many aspects of your future are unsettled. We work hard to be available and accessible when you have questions or just need to talk. We will help you understand the law and the process, as well as your rights, so that you know where you stand and what to expect. We’ll promptly notify you of all developments in your case and help you assess your options and prospects for success, so you can make the right decisions about how to proceed.
Frequently Asked Questions About Offshore-Oil-Rig Accidents
What Should I Do If I Suffer an Injury in an Offshore-Oil-Rig Accident?
- After any accident, your health should be your top priority. Offshore oil rig injuries can be serious, so don’t try to move, unless it’s not safe to stay where you are. Wait until emergency medical personnel arrive and defer to their expertise. Even if your injuries seem inconsequential, and you can move about on your own, get medical attention as soon as possible, from the emergency department, an urgent care facility, or your doctor. The longer you wait, the greater are the chances of complications or of compromising your legal claims.
- Once you’ve had the medical treatment you need, hire an experienced personal injury lawyer. Your attorney will know exactly what to do to protect your rights and will move quickly to gather and preserve physical evidence and get witness statements. Your lawyer may also be your advocate with insurance providers.
- If possible, determine who was present at the time of the accident, and get contact information from them, whether they were involved in the accident or merely witnesses to what happened. Take pictures of anything related to the accident, using your cellphone, if necessary.
What Damages Can I Pursue If I’m Hurt in an Offshore-Oil-Rig Accident?
If you were working at the time of the accident, you have a right to pursue workers’ compensation benefits, which cover lost wages, as well as reasonable and necessary medical expenses. If you can show that your injuries were caused by the carelessness or negligence of someone other than your employer or a coworker, you can simultaneously file a personal injury lawsuit, asking for additional damages:
- Lost income, salary, or other wages
- Loss of enjoyment of life—the ability to engage in activities that have brought meaning or satisfaction in the past
- Loss of companionship or consortium
- Any unreimbursed medical expenses, including rehabilitation, physical therapy, and the costs of retrofitting your home or vehicle to accommodate your injury
- Physical pain and suffering
You cannot, however, recover twice for the same loss. For example, the cost of any injuries covered by insurance cannot be awarded as damages in a personal injury lawsuit.
What Are Common Types of Offshore-Oil-Rig Accidents?
There are many ways to get hurt on an offshore oil rig:
- You can suffer serious injury when an offshore oil rig collapses.
- There’s always a risk that the rig will sink or capsize.
- Fires and explosions are not uncommon on offshore oil rigs.
- You may be hurt if you’re working on an offshore oil rig during a hurricane, tropical storm, or other dangerous weather condition.
- Slips, trips, and falls are fairly common on offshore oil rigs.
How Can Bailey & Galyen Help Me If I’m Hurt on an Offshore Oil Rig?
At Bailey & Galyen, we have aggressively protected the rights of injured people in courts across Texas for more than 40 years. We understand the complexities of offshore oil rig accidents and injuries, and we know how to prepare these types of claims to maximize recovery. We also know the types of evidence that are most compelling to a judge and jury. We are familiar with the different ways that judges and juries treat personal injury claims in different parts of Texas, and we can quickly recognize when bringing in expert witnesses will help you get full and fair compensation for your losses.
Contact Bailey & Galyen for an Experienced Offshore-Oil-Rig-Accident Attorney
In the aftermath of an offshore oil rig accident, you need an experienced lawyer to protect your rights. The proven personal injury attorneys at Bailey & Galyen offer a free initial consultation to every prospective client. We handle all offshore oil rig claims on a contingent-fee basis. You won’t pay any legal fees unless we get compensation for your losses.
We offer proven counsel in offshore-oil-rig-accident claims across Texas, with offices in Arlington, Bedford, Burleson, Carrollton, Dallas, Fort Worth, Grapevine, Houston, Mansfield, Mesquite, Midland/Odessa, Plano, Texarkana, and Weatherford.