Capsizes | Serious and Catastrophic Injury | Drowning | Negligent Maintenance Claims | Owner or Operator Error
Many offshore oil rigs are little more than ships floating in the water, subject to sinking, tipping over, or capsizing like any other watercraft. Frequently, the demands of production take priority over safety on such a rig, causing owners and operators to take unnecessary risks or fail to perform routine maintenance. When an offshore oil rig starts to become unstable, it can capsize almost instantaneously, often causing serious and catastrophic injury or death.
If you or someone you love is hurt when an offshore oil rig goes down, you want an experienced and aggressive lawyer to help you get the compensation you need to cover all your losses. You want Bailey & Galyen.
Strong Advocacy in Claims Arising Out of Sunken or Capsized Rigs
At Bailey & Galyen, with offices across Texas, we have fought for the legal rights of injured people for over four decades, including workers hurt in offshore oil rig accidents. One of the largest consumer law firms in the Lone Star State, we are known and respected for our ability to consistently get positive results for our clients. Over the past 40-plus years, we have recovered more than $500 million in settlements and verdicts for injured people.
At Bailey & Galyen, the key to our success has always been hard work, backed by our commitment to dedicate 100% of our efforts to every case we take. We understand the value of regular communication with your attorney, so you can know what to expect and where you stand. We strive to keep you fully involved and informed at all times, carefully explaining the law and the process, as well as your legal rights. We’ll update you immediately on any developments in your case and make certain you know your options and your likelihood of getting the results you want, so that you can make good decisions about how to proceed.
Frequently Asked Questions About Offshore Oil Rig Accidents Involving Sunken Rigs
What Should I Do If I Suffer Injury When an Offshore Oil Rig Sinks?
- Always give your immediate attention to your health and well-being. Once you are certain you are safe, get treatment from a doctor, at a hospital emergency department, or at an urgent care facility. Don’t try to shake off your injuries and don’t try to be strong. If at all possible, defer to emergency medical technicians. They will be able to quickly determine the best course of action. Don’t delay treatment, though. The longer you wait, the more you run the risk of complications and the more likely your legal rights will be affected.
- Hire an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Your lawyer will know exactly what needs to be done to protect your legal claims, taking immediate steps to protect physical evidence and gather witness statements. Your attorney may also be able to help you cut through insurance company red tape and get the benefits you need.
- If nothing else, take pictures of the scene of the capsize and of your injuries. Your cellphone camera is fine. If possible, identify as many people as possible who were there at the time the rig sank. Get their names and contact information for your attorney.
What Types of Damages Can I Expect to Recover If I’m Hurt When an Offshore Oil Rig Sinks?
If the injuries occur while you’re working, you can file a claim for workers’ compensation benefits. Those payments cover lost wages, as well as reasonable and necessary medical expenses. If the accident is caused by the negligence of a third party—someone other than your employer or a coworker—you can also file a personal injury suit in court, seeking compensation for:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Lost wages and income
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of companionship or consortium
- Any medical expenses not paid for by insurance or workers’ compensation
What Are the Common Causes of Offshore Oil Rigs Capsizing or Sinking?
An offshore oil rig can sink for many reasons, including:
- Carelessness or negligence in the design of a rig, including the anchoring or mooring of a rig or the rig’s ability to withstand currents or movement of water
- Failure to adequately secure an offshore oil rig in a geographic location with a history of hurricanes, tropical storms, or other dangerous weather patterns
- Failure to properly maintain or monitor a rig for mechanical issues that might cause it to sink or capsize
- Human error
How Can Bailey & Galyen Help Me If I’m Injured When an Offshore Oil Rig Capsizes?
At Bailey & Galyen, we have fought for the legal rights of workers in Texas for more than 40 years, so we know how to prepare, file, and argue these types of claims to help maximize your recovery. We know the kinds of evidence that juries find most persuasive, and we understand when expert witness testimony may be necessary to help jurors understand the full extent of liability and loss. We can also accurately and quickly assess the value of your claim, so that you can make good decisions about whether to accept a settlement offer.
Contact Bailey & Galyen for a Proven Offshore-Oil-Rig-Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one is hurt while working on an offshore oil rig, you want an experienced lawyer to help you pursue all benefits available through a workers’ compensation claim. At Bailey & Galyen, we offer a free initial consultation to anyone who suffers injury on the job. We will handle your claim on a contingent-fee basis, charging attorney fees only if we recover benefits for you.
We offer proven counsel in offshore-oil-rig claims across Texas, with offices in Arlington, Bedford, Burleson, Carrollton, Dallas, Fort Worth, Grapevine, Houston, Mansfield, Mesquite, Midland/Odessa, Plano, Texarkana, and Weatherford.